For your loved ones that are getting up in age, it’s important to make sure their home is safe for their changing requirements. An accident for an older person can be much more serious than it would be for someone young. A slip or a fall could mean a nice long stay in the hospital, or worse. A T&Z professional, experienced handyman will be happy to make your aging loved one’s home safer and more comfortable.
Here are some changes you think about having your handyman work on:
- Move light switches and electrical plugs for easier access
- Have your handyman replace cabinet and door handles for easier grip. Some individuals who suffer from arthritis of the hands find this difficult. Bigger cabinet and door handles will be a big help and allow for easy grip.Why don’t you check out the door handles from the Vivo and Verso range that have been made to be as functional and easy-to-use as possible. If anything these door handles might give you some idea of what would give you the best grip.
- Enhance/update light fixtures to ensure proper vision. If your loved one can’t see properly, they risk tripping or falling and getting hurt. Going to the hospital for treatment is a bigger ordeal for seniors than for young people and it’s best to avoid it if at all possible.
- Install new shower heads and grab bars in the shower to prevent slips and falls
- Raise toilet seats for their comfort. Sanding up and sitting down is not as simple and requires more effort.
- Widen doorways for easy mobility. This is especially important for older people that use a scooter or wheelchair to get around their homes. Widening the doorways can help them move through the house easier and with less damage.
- Assemble more suitable furniture to make it easier to sit and stand.
- Have your handyman guardrails and hand rails Your loved ones are important to you, so show it by taking care of them as they age.
Have a T&Z handyman come take care of all Grandma’s home safety precautions and have peace of mind!